Monday, April 4, 2011

Canadian Bacon

I went to Reasors Saturday and bought a pork loin at their meat sale.  Dear hubby immediately hopped up out of his chair when he heard I got a pork loin and said he wanted to make some Canadian Bacon.  I asked him if he knew how, he said no. I found some recipes online. I got out the spices (garlic, 1/2 C brown sugar, black pepper, 4 tsp. curing salt, and 1/4 C. kosher salt) and measuring devices and then sat at the computer and told him how much of what to put in the big bowl of water he had on stand by.  (Are you catching on yet as to how much work dear hubby really did on this project? I do give him credit for the idea and the cutting of 2 pounds of the meat...arrr, arrr, what manly things to do!)  We put this concoction in the fridge for two days
today when I got home I reminded dear hubby of the Canadian Bacon experiment and he said "oh yea". (But this is his project, remember) So I took it out of the fridge and sliced a little off and fried it up and we all agreed that it was ready for the oven.
so I put it in the oven at 200 degrees, while dear hubby napped for an hour or so (he did install 75 yards of carpet today) and then I turned it up to 220 because it was looking like it would be well into tomorrow if I didn't kick up the temp a bit.  Once the internal temp was 145 degrees this is what we had
I think a pizza is in my future!

No comments:

Post a Comment